[Soc-2009-dev] Weekly Report

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Sun Jul 12 17:17:53 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 11:04 +1000, Matt Ebb wrote:
> > === Issues: Where should light node go? ===
> > ZanQdo and I had a quick talk over IRC about whether we need a
> > separate node for light node.
> >
> > What was in my original proposal was quite simple - light node would
> > make creating new probes easier. It allows us to mix existing HDR
> > probes with the ones that we create. The workflow is very simple, so
> > maybe it shouldn't be a separate node mode after all.
> >
> > ZanQdo proposed that it should probably be a part of shading nodes as
> > IBL should be a shader and not treated globally. I'm however not sure
> > how light nodes would fit into shading nodes since it's not related to
> > materials or surface properties. So I hope we can hold some
> > discussions here or during Sunday's meeting about this.
>
> I agree, in fact I thought the original proposal was to have a 'light
> node' as part of the shading nodes, that would basically add the
> illumination from the light probe, given an input vector. I haven't
> been willing to comment on this much yet since I haven't actually
> tried it but a few points:

What about making light probes available as a texture, just like image
textures? It seems quite closely related to things like world angular
maps, cube maps, etc, it's just a different way to store it. Then you
can put it in the world texture stack and blend it with other textures
or light probes. If you want to add it in a shader node, then it would
probably be just a matter of plugging a normal as texture coordinate
into the texture node.

Brecht.