[Soc-2009-dev] Soc-2009-dev Digest, Vol 5, Issue 5

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:09:43 CEST 2009

Hi Yves,

I have only started to care about SIMD since last week, this is because I
can't even be sure that SSE will be enabled on official builds.

So far optimizations tricks used during tree build make a creation of a QBVH
(or other structure with groupped childs) not that direct.

The build with SAH builds a 2-way tree.. but then the tree optimizations
(done in O(N) and O(NLogN)) (which reduce the expected number of BB-tests)
transform it into a tree where each node can have any number of childs.
This "any number of childs" make it harder to implement groupped childs.

eg.: some sample data of a subset of the overlap2 scene (witouth tree
optimization / with tree optimization):
BB tests per ray:   96.979 / 76.210
BB hits per ray:     64.598 / 33.964

About ray-coherency, I decided to only exploit it using hints to build
tree-cuts (like a LCTS), as other type of approach would be too troublesome
and a waste of time considering the modifications on BI code that will
probably be modified soon.

As so my initial approach to SIMD, was the simplest as possible, 1ray-4bvhs.
The current SoC tree structures was not organized for it, and so an initial
try was implemented by poping 4nodes at a time from the dfs stack.
(This allowed to test simd ray-bb code, improve BLI_arena for doing
16aligned mallocs, and for me to get use to simd code)

During this week I plan to optimize the data structure not only for grouping
childs of BVH's, but also to yeild better memory access for non-SIMD builds.

So I think I am going on a good direction!
thanks for the feedback (nice to know people read what I do :)

André