[Soc-2009-dev] Raytrace api

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:03:57 CEST 2009

===Week 10 report===
==This week==
*Build time NlogN
*Single tree is the default
*Tested some memory organization and started some SIMD stuff.
(SIMD recursion, 4 nodes are pop-ed from stack and theirs BB tested at same
time, this doens't seems to scale that well, probably due to memory
reorganization time and somehow bad assembly code). As so I have tried some
compile optimization flags to try to make it worth it.

I found that compile flags have a great impact on runtime (specially on C++
and sse code), althouth I still haven't found what flags and in what files I
need them.

==Next week==
*Keep working on SIMD and memory stuff
*Make it out-of-memory-proof and fix some other "broken" stuff
*Update documentation

==Questions==
Is there any problem on having -O3 on render code?

==Schedule==
Firm 'pencils down' date is august 18.
By now I was able to archieve the "expected" speedup (2-10x), support for
generic primitives, a data structure that can deal well with large environs,
and easibility to add diferent data structures.

My plans after SoC-2009:
*I would like to still spend some more time, until end August, polishing
some details and trying some things out.
*And then on september: work on having it merged on blender2.5 trunk.
*Maintaining the render acceleration strutures