[Soc-2009-dev] Several things to get started

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 25 19:42:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

--- On Fri, 4/24/09, Jingyuan Huang <jingyuan.huang at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jingyuan Huang <jingyuan.huang at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Soc-2009-dev] Several things to get started
> To: soc-2009-dev at blender.org
> Hi all,
> I'm quite slow in terms of writing. Here is what I have
> so far:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Yukishiro/User_Specs_for_Light_Paint#User_creates_a_new_light_environment_for_a_static_scene.
> I still need to polish many things, but ... I'm a slow
> writer...

Good job.

One scenario that seems to be missing is how to handle changes to the scene while light painting (timeline navigation, manually moving stuff around, adding new objects, ...). Here's how I view it:

1. Completely lock the scene for changes.
2. Automatically recalculate per vertex SH coefficients on scene change.
3. Let the user manually trigger a recalculation.

#1 is theoretical only, it would be a very crap solution from the UI point of view. Between #2 and #3, #2 would, ideally I think, be better if SH coefficients calculation could be done in background, where a new triggered update would stop ongoing calculation and start new ones (a UI indicator would tell if calculations are done or still going). #3 would still be a practical and easy solution to implement.

Martin