[Soc-2008-dev] Week 4 report

Ian Thompson quornian at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 21 02:31:33 CEST 2008

Week 4 Report
=============

This Week
---------
I have a working if slow* suggestion/auto-completion method with member listing
implemented in Python. It recognises and suggests names used locally in the
source file (scope restriction is not yet implemented) as well as names in any
imported modules and sub-modules.

The next step is to identify the types of local variables and possible return
type of a given function. This is a little tricky since Python variables can
change type but I hope to at least provide the following support:

a = Object.Get('some_name')
a.???

where the ??? provides a member listing of the Object module type. Where
methods are documented the return type can be extracted from the docstring.

The test file may be found on the wiki under Resources:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Quorn/SummerOfCode2008

* The maximum execution time experienced on a 1.6 GHz Centrino was under a
second for the largest script in the Blender distribution. The code is pretty
inefficient at the moment so I expect much greater speeds in the future.

Next Week
---------
 - Integrate the script into Blender and compile for frequent use
 - Review options for persistence/caching
 - Type identification and scope awareness

Issues
------
No big issues, just lots to improve upon and posibilities to discuss.

Schedule
--------
Almost back on schedule. Would like to start working on UI integration (stage 2)
as soon as possible so that I can get feedback from a proper working prototype.