[Soc-2008-dev] Week 3 Report

Maxime Curioni maxime.curioni at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 00:25:11 CEST 2008

Week 3 Report
=============

This Week
------------------
Like I explained last week, due to the end of the school term, I haven't had
much time to work on the project. Nevertheless, I still managed to make a
few changes.

Freestyle now renders the object in the Blender scene (see Suzanne example:
http://maximecurioni.com/gsoc2008/?p=21). The scene export is done using
Blender's internal 3ds Python script.  Since the script cannot be executed
directly, I copied it locally in the local Freestyle tree and modified it so
that it is executed programatically without UI input.

I also removed some static dependencies, that were formerly fixed at
compilation.  As of now, the Freestyle runtime uses the environment variable
FREESTYLE_BLENDER_DIR to determine the different files needed for execution
(style module, Python 3ds export script, paper texture....). Freestyle can
now be run without any local modification and on any platform, as long as
the FREESTYLE_BLENDER_DIR environment variable correctly points to the
directory source/blender/freestyle and the SWIG wrapper module is compiled
and linked correctly.

Finally, I modified the view parameters so that the output screen size and
ratio are correct. Currently, the scene is observed from the point (0,0,1)
and points at the origin (0,0,0). Also, to make rendering efficient, I added
a Freestyle initialization function, taking care of instanciating the view
and the controller just once.

Next Week
---------
To finish the first phase, I need to change the view camera parameters to
reflect those of the actual Blender camera (position and orientation) and
allow the user to select different style modules from the interface.

I intend to start the second phase the upcoming week. Part of that phase has
been covered already (utilizing Blender's Python environment). I will need
to do some code study, to understand how the Python API works in detail (to
replace SWIG) and how render layers are organized and coded in the render
pipeline. I'll need to figure out how to render OpenGL commands "within" a
render layer.

With the amount of code I am going to have to study, I don't expect to code
extensively. I still hope to have some basic render layer functionality
working.

Issues
------
None

Schedule
--------
According to schedule, I am a week behind, as I was supposed to complete
phase 1 last Sunday. If things go properly this week-end, I should have it
finished for this week-end's meeting.