[Soc-2008-dev] Week 9 report

Maxime Curioni maxime.curioni at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 06:01:24 CEST 2008

Week 9 Report

=============

This Week

---------

I continued working on removing SWIG. Despite trying really hard to meet my
weekly target (getting the removal completed), the job is still not
finished. I am, like all of you, very disappointed to note that this area of
the integration is not ready yet.

I understand you might ask yourself why I am running behind schedule. This
is clearly not due to a lack of work on my part, as my commit logs show. I
am working full-time and full-steam on the project and I don't see how I
could go faster. It is not due to a lack of perfectionism either: I have
actually changed my approach to the integration. Instead of redefining the
API considerably, I realized this week that I first needed to integrate the
old API before starting refactoring it. The clearest example is the
implementation of iterators, that I originally wanted to replace with a
list-based approach. I still hope to achieve that in the future but for the
time being, just getting it running independently of SWIG is a more pressing
issue. I also have tried to optimize my time to meet the target by not
coding test cases for my API. I hope this won't affect my first running
tests in the days to come.

I feel I have underestimated the amount of work to create a "native" Python
API for scratch. I have realized this past week that I should have set aside
at least two and a half weeks for the task, while I candidly had planned to
get it done in a week. The process is slow and massive in terms of the
amount of code that needs to be generated.

After these bad news, fortunately, I am almost finished. I ported almost all
base classes of the API. I have 4 base classes left (which each take me
about two hours of work on average). Once this is done, I just need to copy
and paste the shaders', functions' and predicates' subclasses. This should
be quick.

Next Week

---------

I should be done porting the API very soon. Then, I'll have to test to make
sure it works. That's another big unknown.  I'll then be able to test
whether my approach was valid or not. I don't see any real issue, but at the
same time I don't really know before having tested it.

Once I am done with SWIG (finally...), I'll work on getting lib3ds out of
the system.

Issues

------

None

Schedule

--------

I am behind schedule and this is still a major worry to me. I will have to
reassess with Jean-Luc, what I can and cannot deliver for the end of the
summer. Whatever remains will be implemented after the GSoC session.