[Soc-2008-dev] Week 9 report

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 23:54:04 CEST 2008

a) Previous week:
* Got all levels updating properly, so sculpting on any multires level
works now.
* Fixed the multires modifier Apply operation, works without crashing now
* Fixed copying multires meshes, so displacements aren't lost
* Fixed rendering multires meshes
* Fixed joining multires meshes.
* Added a Reshape feature to multires, that copies vertex coordinates
from a regular mesh to the current multires level, should improve
interoperability with other 3D software
* Improved memory usage a bit
* Started removing old multires code

b) Next week:
First thing is fixing undo in sculptmode. Unfortunately, this will
have to be a bit of a hack, since sculpting operates on DerivedMesh
data, which is temporary (non-SDNA) data.

I also still need to write the code to load old multires. This is a
little tricky, because the old format doesn't quite map one-to-one
with the new format.

c) Other:
At some point, we'll need to start worrying about performance. The
current speed of adding levels and updating levels is abysmal, and I'm
not sure that can be fixed with CCGSubsurf. (CCGSubsurf is quite fast
for editmode operations, but that's not as important for typical use
of multires meshes.) However, I'm going to try and get everything else
working before diving into the performance issues.

d) Schedule:
OK.