[Soc-2008-dev] Week 7 report

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 05:20:29 CEST 2008

a) Previous week:
Turns out the approach I was trying to use to subdivide displacements
was way too complex to finish. I couldn't understand a line of code
five seconds after writing it, so eventually I scrapped all that and
tried something different, and it worked out much better, although it
needs some optimization. Subdividing a level now works properly, with
displacements subdivided as expected. I just committed these changes
today...

b) Next week:
Now that displacements can be subdivided one level, I need to
generalize it to work for more than one level, so that sculpting
levels other than the bottom and top levels can work. This will be the
last "major" feature; once this is working, the multires modifier
should be functional for actual use. (There are still three other
features needed to match the old multires however, those being
deleting lower levels and higher levels, and changing the subdivision
type (simple or catmull-clark.))

c) Other:
I am writing a more complete status update for the gsoc midterm; I'll
put that up on the wiki with some demonstrations (pictures and/or
videos, maybe a .blend) as soon as it's ready.

d) Schedule:
On schedule. Getting displacement subdivision working was kind of
grueling; I put in a lot of hours this week.

-Nicholas