[Soc-2008-dev] Week 6 report

Maxime Curioni maxime.curioni at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 06:41:48 CEST 2008

a) This week

I worked on integrating Freestyle as an independent render layer. The first
part of my week, I studied how best to go about the integration, reading
documentation on OpenGL frame buffer objects. So far, the feature is
implemented but it is not working yet. The strokes do get rendered in a
separate render buffer but when I copy the information back into the render
layer's pixel array, the information is blank. I have kept the previous
functionality (using the OpenGL context from the render window) to make sure
that rendering still works without a hitch. I have paid particular attention
to which buffer the strokes are rendered to and which buffer the result is
read from. I am probably missing something in my context. I expect to
resolve this bug soon.

I also modified the camera model to correctly take into account the chosen
lens and therefore set up the proper field of view. Freestyle's results are
now coherent with the ones produced by Blender's internal engine. The
feature only work for perspective projection. libQGLWidget's Camera class
somehow does not seem to take into account the scaling setting for
orthographic projection. I will get that corrected once phase 2 is finished.

I am also aware that my code up to now has been pretty ugly, so I have begun
refactoring my code to make it simpler and easier to understand. I have
quite some code to continue cleaning up, especially all the quick fixes I
have done to make Freestyle run. From now on, once a feature is working, I
will modify the related code up to good programming standards.

b) Next week;

I am focused on having the render layer feature working for this Sunday
meeting. I am doing all I can to get that working in time. Right after that
is done, I will work on removing SWIG's dependency, based on feedback from
Jean-Luc and Stéphane. I will also need to determine when to remove lib3ds'
dependency from the project.

c) Issues

None

d) Schedule

I need to produce the render layer as a deliverable for Sunday. If I get it
working for Sunday's meeting, I will have caught up with the project
schedule.