[Soc-2008-dev] Week 10 report

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 03:48:05 CEST 2008

a) Previous week:
Compared to my flurry of commits last week, this week was pretty slow.
* Fixed undo for sculptmode + multires
* Memory reductions + bugfix for putting certain modifiers after multires
* Fixed multires shortcut keys

Early this week my motherboard fried, so I've been on a backup
computer until a few hours ago. Slow as hell to compile Blender (it's
actually more or less the same computer I used when I first worked on
Blender in 2006; I've gotten spoiled since!) I have my new motherboard
in now though, so everything's back to normal.

Anyway, I've been working to do something about the very slow
subdivision/level switching of the new multires (as compared to the
multires in trunk.) Basically, I'm removing some uses of CCGSubsurf in
favor of directly subdividing displacements. CCGSubsurf is still used
for outputting the final mesh, so there won't be any user-visible
differences other than speed. Directly subdividing displacements is an
approach I had abandoned earlier as too complex, but I think I can
make it work at least as cleanly as the current code.

I also had a look at file loading; I've written (but not comitted) the
basic framework needed to convert old multires files to the new
modifier format, but it still needs a somewhat complex conversion from
the old vertex ordering to the new displacement grids, which will take
some thought.

b) Next week:
More work to do on the displacement subdivision code. Not sure how
much more work this'll be; handling the edges of faces is difficult.

Also, I've asked for some user testing here:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131376

There're a number of bug reports I will look at.

c) Other:
--

d) Schedule:
If memory serves, deadline for SoC is August 18th. Looking good.