[Soc-2007-dev] SoC starts soon!

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Sun May 20 20:14:43 CEST 2007

Hi students,

I hope that you are getting ready for the start of the
Summer of Code next week (or at least thinking about
starting to get ready ;) ). I also hope you will
start interacting with your mentors (if you are haven't
already). Please let them know if you have any obligations
(like exams or holidays) that might effect your progress
this summer.

There are a few things you should know about:

1) Blender development has moved from CVS to the Subversion
(SVN) code management tool. This migration is in progress
right now and not all wrinkles have been ironed out yet.
There is some information about this here:

http://www.blender.org/development/building-blender/svn-checkout-and-usage/

My homework for this week is to figure out how branches
work (and how to restrict commit rights by branch).
What we intend to do is to create a branch for each
student to work on, and have you do regular merges
of code from the blender 'trunk' and your branches.
I think it would be good to make sure that you all have
a regular 'merge day', as last year merges weren't
performed as often as I would have liked -- I am told
that merges are easier with SVN than with CVS though.
There will be more information about this as we get
it figured out...

2) I have started a wiki page for this year's SoC:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/SummerOfCode2007

Each of you has a link to your own page from there that
you can modify (please talk to Tom Musgrove, a.k.a LetterRip
on irc for wiki permissions). You can create that page and
describe your project goals and your project. If you would like to
see examples of what students from previous years have done,
checkout the links on these pages:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/SummerOfCode2006
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/SummerOfCode2005

3) Our SoC 'Ideas page' had the following condition for
students: "You must be willing to submit weekly progress
reports and be available for weekly IRC meetings".

Every Friday, we would like you to create an informal
weekly report, sent to this mailing list, outlining:

a) What you did in the previous week;
b) What you plan to do in the following week;
c) Describe any issues you are having that may
require extra attention.

Part a) above is something you may also want to
put in your wiki page as a part of a developer's
log.

Our weekly IRC meetings are on Sundays (the only day
of the week that most of our developer base is able to
meet due to timezones). The channel is #blendercoders
and the time is 16:00 CET (you'll need to figure out
your local time from that).

OK, any questions or comments? I have a nick (cwant)
permanently joined to the #blendercoders IRC channel,
so if you have any questions feel free to join IRC
and ask, and I will answer when I become active
(many other helpful developers are active there too).
I will let you know when I get the Subversion branches
ready so that you can check them out and start working
there -- in the mean time you might want to try
checking out the main blender 'trunk' and see if
you have any problems building that you need to sort out.

Regards,
Chris

!DSPAM:2921,4650904a36371313578756!