[Soc-2007-dev] Sunday meeting absence: topics for discussion

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 01:34:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

--- Levi Schooley <levischooley at eaglecom.net> wrote:

> 4. Since I am using the BMesh API, using conversion
> functions
> between the different mesh types, and, in the case
> of the bevel
> tool, modifying topology, the editmode tools I am
> creating will
> not fit very well into the current Transform()
> infrastructure. The
> major difficulties are a) transferring
> transformation information
> from the BMesh tool, b) deciding whether the
> transformations
> operate on the BMesh or EditMesh data, and

a) and b) shouldn't be problems, the generic transdata
structure was made to be adaptable to wrap all kinds
of data, there's really no reason it can be fitted to
work with BMesh (I even doubt there's any
modifications to the structure needed, but lets see).

> c) notifying the
> calling function of events (in the case of enabling
> the user to
> modify the topology interactively).

Transform functions shouldn't modify the topology.
Actual geometry modification can happen before
transform (extrude) or after (no example) or even both
but not during,

> To help overcome these difficulties, I would like to
> propose two
> possible solutions:
> 1. "Permission" to create my own Transform()-like
> event loop for
> use with the editmode bevel tool. I may possibly
> need to do
> something similar for the offset tool as well. To
> help justify
> this action, I will point out that the
> edge-split/slide tool is
> currently implemented using its own event loop.

For tools that modify geometry (changing topology),
that sort of thing is a given (the knife tool does it,
edge cut does it, ...).

However, some functionality used in transform can very
well be reused elsewhere (I'm thinking especially of
numerical input here, but the mouse input "conversion"
functions could be reused too and probably others as
well).

> 2. "Permission" to add a new global var,
> G.editBMesh, and to
> create a new transform context to operate on its
> data using the
> BMesh tool code. NOTE: this was a new idea, I need
> to research
> this more. It may still have the same problems,
> mainly with
> conversion and accessing/restoring original
> topology.

What do you mean by "new transform context"?

>From your message, I think there might be a little
misunderstanding as to what constitute Transform and
what does not (either that or I read your email wrong,
that could happen).

Thanks for the hard work!

Martin