[Soc-2007-dev] Status Report

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 08:52:35 CEST 2007

This report is late, because as of last friday I had nothing to report :)

Well, I've made lots of progress since then! Wahoo!  Basic DSM with no
compression and no cache support works
now (yay!).  Its extremely memory hungry, but that'll change once I
implement visibility function compression tomorrow,
and also when I hook the cache system back up.

Previously my implementation was basically a rather simple abuffer; now
its an actual DSM implementation, e.g. a
volumetric shadow map.  This allows for greater memory efficiency, since
you can compress the visibility density functions
fairly easily.  When you have a bunch of sub-pixel density functions,
the final averaged combined function tends to be
smooth, which helps a lot with this.

I've tried to leave things relatively open for volumetrics later; I
didn't spend too much time really, but adding in support
for them shouldn't be very hard.

Joe