[Soc-2006-dev] Google SoC Students/Mentors

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Thu May 25 07:16:45 CEST 2006

Hey gang,

Congratulations to the successful Summer of Code
applicants!

I am trying to get the infrastructure in place
to make the Summer of Code happen. Right now
I have created a soc-2006 GForge project on 'p.b.o'
(projects.blender.org):

http://projects.blender.org/projects/soc-2006/

If you don't have a p.b.o account, please sign up
for one and send me your username. If you currently
have an account, send me your username.

This project comes with some mailing lists that
will be useful for coordinating activities:

Development discussion:

CVS:

I have automatically subscribed you to these two lists.

Two other mailing lists that you are very strongly
advised to subscribe to are the blender development
list and blender cvs list (sorry, you have to subscribe
yourself):

Another resource is irc: most of the mentors visit
#blendercoders channel on irc.freenode.net.
There are also development forums on 'w.b.o'
(www.blender.org) and Elysiun (www.elysiun.com).

I'll be setting up a CVS repository for the
projects within the next day or two. We will
try to run it much like we did last year, with
each student working on a branch of this tree.
The tree will undergo weekly merges to make
sure that each project doesn't deviate too much
from the current state of Blender development.
I'll update the list when this is ready to
go, and hopefully I can reuse some documentation
from last year to ease the process.

This might be a good time to get some information
from the students, so if you have a moment can you
send a mail to this list answering the following:

* Have you used cvs before?
* What OS do you use for development?
* What compiler fo you use?
* Have you built the blender sources before?
* Do you have an IRC nickname?
* Feel free to include any other info you think
it might be useful to share.

Again, congratulations to the applicants, and many
thanks to those that have agreed to be mentors!

More to come later ...

Regards,
Chris