[Soc-2006-dev] SoC weekly reporting

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 02:14:02 CEST 2006

a) What I've done this week:
Went back to the sculpting tools and made some fixes based on feedback
I've received.

Started the wiki page for the multires tools. Hopefully I can get some
feedback soon and we can iron out any concerns people have with it.

Lots of experimentation with algorithms for multires. Contrary to my
original expectations before I started the project, the difficult part
seems to be making the changes on one multires level go _down_ the
chain. Going up turns out to be pretty easy; you just use the
Catmull-Clark algorithm, but apply it to the deltas instead of actual
vertices. Going down is much more difficult due to one particular case
that occurs wherever a vertex has exactly three connected edges (such
as the corners of a cube.) Figuring out where the vertex at the lower
level should be then becomes much more difficult.

b) Next week:
Starting immediately, I still have more to add to the wiki page; that
shouldn't take long.

I also have to resolve the issue with bringing multires changes to
lower levels that I mentioned above. There are a couple possibilities
here: find a good way to change the algorithm to cover this corner
case -or- improve the subdivision algorithm itself so that it is
interpolating instead of approximating. I've downloaded some PDFs on
this subject, and it's worth noting that this appears to be how ZBrush
does it. I tend to favor the second possibility, since it could make
the code simpler in other ways as well.

If there's time, I'm also hoping to implement some more enhancements
to the sculpting code that have been suggested.

-Nicholas