[Soc-2006-dev] SoC weekly reporting

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Thu Jun 1 17:29:34 CEST 2006

Hi students,

I hope that you are starting to get settled and comfortable
with SoC, and with Blender development, and that you have
started to interact with your mentors (if you are having
any problems getting going, please do not hesitate to
mail this list, or myself directly).

One of the failings with last year's SoC is that there
was very little formal monitoring of student progress.
As a result, we had some projects that fell far
behind, and were very much on the verge of being
unsuccessful. Part of the reason for this is that
we only asked for a status report twice during the
whole summer. This year we would like to avoid this
situation, and this is why on our ideas/requirements
page we included the condition "You must be willing to
submit weekly progress reports and be available for
weekly IRC meetings".

Every Friday, we would like you to create an informal
weekly report, sent to this mailing list, outlining:

a) What you did in the previous week;
b) What you plan to do in the following week;
c) Describe any issues you are having that may
require extra attention.

Part a) above is something you may also want to
put in a wiki page as a part of a developer's
log (you don't have to if you don't want to).
I see 2 of the students have started wiki pages
that are tied to the soc 2006 wiki page:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/SummerOfCode2006

OK, any questions or comments? I hope that you have all
tried to check out your branches from the CVS repository,
and if you have any problems we can address them soon.
I have a nick (Hos) permanently joined to the #blendercoders
IRC channel, so if you have any questions feel free to
join IRC and ask, and I will answer when I become active
(many other helpful developers are active there too).
Also, don't forget about the Sunday developer's meeting
if you are able to attend (hopefully we have the time zone
sorted out for that).

Regards,
Chris