Re: [Soc-2006-dev] The conclusion of SoC 2006

Dmitriy Mazovka mazovka at bk.ru
Sat Aug 26 00:11:38 CEST 2006

Hello! I remember Chris requested final report to the list (correct me,
if it is not so).
Sadly no more weekly reports I've already got used to are needed:(.

In this letter I'd like to present conclusion of my participation in Blender
GSoC project.

Goals declared and actually reached:

1. Sky

  World sky model was implemented in full volume,

  supported:
    natural sky model;
    sky color customization;
    multi sun scenes;
    manual arranging of sun objects;
    sun halo textures;
    using current date.

  current issues:
    local date and pos bug;

  possible extensions:
    finish date/pos ui

2. Clouds

  Cloud model was the most challenging part. Before the beginning I'd already
  known the base system - cellular automata + particles. And it was approved -
  cloud modelling in Blender now is very flexible and understandable thing.

  Main issue was filling of nonconvex meshes with particles. The current method
  is the 3rd. It took me rather long time.

  supported:
    cloud formation using mesh objects;
    density tuning;
    formation of cloud masses using texture height maps;
    light tracing through clouds (single sun only);
    particle textures and texture packs.

  issues (or not available stuff):
    cloud reflections;
    cloud shadow;
    shading (last model seems to be good, but extremely slow);
    slowdown on almost all stages.

  possible extensions:
    layered texture pack (smart texture picking);
    auto generation of particle textures;
    perpixel shading (a big theoretical question).

3. Animation

  Although some type of sky and cloud animation presents, true cloud
  animation (for what CA was designed to be used) is not available.

Summer of Code in its literal sence is over.
And I'd like to say, that it was great! The only reason one have to apply
to GSoC is not money, but real involvement in the Blender community, real
opportunity to apply your skills for improvement the great software.
Thanks, you all were very helpful and friendly:). And I suppose (hope) I'll be
allowed to continue the work, if SkyGen will be considered enough good for
integration.

Another cool thing was the idea of blenderartist's forum thread. One more
strong reason for soc'er to work hard :).

PS. There is also UM... oh..:)

Best regards,
Dmitriy (aka sionix)