[Soc-2005-dev] Sketch based modeling

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Jul 26 14:57:02 CEST 2005

Hi Pablo,

Also thanks for the Wiki doc!
http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/SketchBasedModelling

I really miss in the current doc implementation/design information of
how it is going to work... it is probably summarized in the "3.1 Tasks"
section, I think the most important part to know more of!

If you want to introduce a new modeling method in Blender, it's
important to also try to fit in the current conventions for 'object
mode' and 'edit mode'... and find a way for efficient storage of the
data.

- Why not define a new object type "Sketch", which can store the raw
curve data and all relevant stuff that needs to be saved in files.

- This object type then can go into EditMode, which then will allow the
methods as you describe to paint. I really think that's much better
than turning the 3d window into 'sketch mode'... that's not how things
work in Blender. :)

- Then make a displist.c function, which continuously 'converts' the
curve data into the proper format for displaying.

- As option, the ALT+C conversion then can make this a Mesh (or
Surface?).

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org