[Soc-2005-dev] Ping! (status update please)

thomas lewis lewist at usc.edu
Mon Jul 18 07:42:30 CEST 2005

Heya...
I might be in a little bit of trouble, but I'm prepared to pull crunchtime the next 5 weeks if necessary. My mentor had some personal issues beyond his control to deal with early on, and I've pretty much heard nothing from him beyond basic introductions. I've had limited contact with a couple of other people in the community, plus their programmer irc channel (My mentoring organisation is Blender), but have spent about 3 times as long on design as I thought, trying to make all the decisions myself as well as self-teaching the physics engine APIs and blender source, neither of which I've used before. Nonetheless, the people I have been able to contact have been helpful, and I think I may almost be ready to start putting together some actual code. I'm really glad of this opportunity, but I think perhaps it could have been better organised. In some ways though, dealing with strange organisation issues helps one get a feel for the real world too.
-Thomas Lewis

P.S. How rigid are the initial specifications? One (as far as I can tell) non-google person suggested narrowing this if it wasn't looking feasible in its current state. Can we do this?