[Robotics] Project I wish to do for Blender for better Robot Navigation

Aris Synodinos asynodin at mech.upatras.gr
Wed May 1 11:33:08 CEST 2013

Dear Shreedhar,
Although I believe that your contribution in blender would be very helpful,
I would recommend to you to use Gazebo and ROS for such matters, since the
robotics community there is much more developed and more users would be
able to profit from your contribution in such matters.
Others have already implemented navigation/motion planning algorithms in
VGAs (CUDA and OpenCL) in various algorithms so I would suggest a proper
state of the art before starting to see what is already out there.
Best regards and good luck in your project,

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Shreedhar Pawar <shreedhar22 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Respected Sir,
>       I am interested in building a parallel algorithm for estimating
> depth of an image using stereo images on the OpenCL platform. Image depth
> estimation is really useful in robot navigation or in other areas of
> blender development like in gaming or 2D-3D video conversion.
>      There are many people who have build algorithms of estimating image
> depths, but the area of parallel computing with OpenCL is a bit unexplored.
> OpenCL is better than CUDA in  terms of portability(i.e. the code can be
> used with any graphic card or any multiprocessing CPU and even on handheld
> devices) which is the reason I choose to use it.
>      Please let me know whether I can do this project for Blender, so that
> I will send the details of the parallel algorithm and how it is better than
> any of the algorithms outside.
>
> Thanking You,
>

>   Your faithful,
> Shreedhar Pawar.

Aris Synodinos
PhD Student
Robotics Group
Mechanical and Aeronautics Engineering Department
Tel. +30-2610-996248
e-mail: asynodin at mech.upatras.gr
Web: http://robotics.mech.upatras.gr/