[Robotics] COLLADA 1.5 armature support?

Séverin Lemaignan severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
Thu Feb 7 09:16:46 CET 2013

On 02/06/2013 09:34 PM, William Hilton wrote:
> If I understand you right, then there are at least two types of joints,
> animation skeleton joints and kinematic model joints. Can Blender
> support all the features of kinematic models, such as limits? If not,
> perhaps it would make sense to prompt the user to ask if they want to
> convert the kinematic models to animation skeletons, at the loss of some
> kinematic model information. Does that sound like a good approach? Or
> should I try to modify my Collada file to change the joints to the type
> Blender supports?

As far as I understand the Collada spec (but it's a very long spec, I
can not say I've read it and understand it completely), yes, you have
two disctinct notions of joints and armatures.

On the Blender side, you can specify IK limits for armature. Check to
documentation I've written on that subject for MORSE:
http://www.openrobots.org/morse/doc/latest/dev/armature_creation.html

And I second Herman suggestion to develop extensions for MORSE ;-)

Cheers,
Severin

           Séverin Lemaignan - severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
   [00]    Post-doctoral fellow on Cognitive Robotics
  /|__|\   LAAS-CNRS - RIS group
    ''     +33561337844
           http://www.laas.fr/~slemaign