[Robotics] COLLADA 1.5 armature support?

William Hilton wmhilton at drexel.edu
Sat Feb 2 23:26:59 CET 2013

Does anyone know what the status of importing the kinematics portion of
COLLADA 1.5 files into Blender is? My university has an OpenRAVE model of
the Hubo+ robot, and I would like to import it into a 3D animation package
(like Blender) to do character rigging, with the ultimate goal of designing
motions in Blender and exporting the joint angles at each frame so we can
play back the motions on the robot. The OpenRAVE model can be exported to
COLLADA 1.5 .dae file, but when I import into Blender, it does not import
the kinematic chain as an armature. I could add an armature by hand, but
the OpenRAVE model is a living document that is constantly being updated,
so I would like to have a pretty automatic OpenRAVE to Blender conversion.

I found a post from Sept. 2011 saying they were "working on importing and
exporting kinematics related data to blender," but that was over a year
ago.
http://openrave-users-list.185357.n3.nabble.com/blender-support-for-collada-1-5-tp3357898p3358208.html

--
William Hilton
MET-lab PhD Student, ECE Department, Drexel University
Email: wmhilton at drexel.edu
SMS: 513-368-5411