[Robotics] Depth information from a camera

Gilberto Echeverria gilberto.echeverria at laas.fr
Tue Jan 11 10:06:57 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

For the MORSE simulator, we are trying to recreate laser range scanners,
that provide depth information from a sensor on a robot. We are
currently doing this using ray tracing, but if we want to simulate
sensor with a lot of lasers, I fear ray tracing all of them will be too
slow.
So my question is: Is there a way to get the depth information of a
scene in a faster way? We need something that can be used from the Game
Engine of Blender 2.5
One possible method is to get the z-buffer from a camera. Apparently
this was possible in Blender 2.49, using the BGL modules, but that seems
to have disappeared from Blender 2.5.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Gilberto