[Robotics] Feedback on MORSE installation instructions...

Redouane Boumghar redouane.boumghar at laas.fr
Thu Jan 6 13:10:32 CET 2011

Hello all !

I have tried using Morse in the early development with my intel chipset.
I have an intel GM45 video chipset with DRI2 Enabled...

With xorg-drivers and xorg-server < 1.7 and blender 2.4* :
I could only use the GLSL Materials and all I was getting was the
the default mixing color of materials (pink :) )

Now I have a stable version of the xorg-server 1.7.7
and xorg-drivers 1.7 (I know I do not live on the edge). In the game
engine, the texture are perfect but on special features like normal maps
where I still get a strange render.
Anyway My intel video card is still too slow to play with it.
I only get a maximum of 5 frames per seconds on any-kind of scene.

So I use another computer with a NVidia graphic card.

By the way I am kind of pionneer using Morse for outdoor scenes
simulation and my role in development has been essentially to
unveil bugs to the core development team (I live face to face with
Gilberto during the daylight :D )

And yesterday as I was reading the hackaton wiki page again :
http://www.openrobots.org/wiki/morse/events/hackaton_jan_2011

I was thinking the same. We need a "hello world robot!" example;
simple & fast & fun in order to increase the new-users input.
So Herman, I'll join you on this topic.. at least on ideas.

A good thing would be to share ideas before we start the hack-a-ton
by using the (previously cited) wiki.

(each hackaton page can be suffixed with "?action=edit" in order
to edit it, as this link does not appear on all of them yet).

For now I have added comments on these pages :
http://www.openrobots.org/wiki/morse/events/hackaton_jan_2011/gui
http://www.openrobots.org/wiki/morse/events/hackaton_jan_2011
and will soon add this page when allowed to :
http://www.openrobots.org/wiki/morse/events/hackaton_jan_2011/helloworldrobots

Best Regards,
--
Redouane Boumghar
PhD Student: Decision theory and multi-robot cooperation