[Robotics] pose mode and game engine

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:11:06 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Herman Bruyninckx
<Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, David Hutto wrote:
>
>> Not to butt in, but I'm looking for projects. So I was wondering if
>> there are any plans to implement voice commands, and environmental
>
> It's always good to have some extra hands :-) So, let's see whether we can
> find an interesting job for you to do...
>
> First of all, what do you mean exactly with the latter thing
> ("environmental responses from field bots in progress")? If you mean that
> we want to visually represent in Blender/MORSE what is going on with a real
> robot then the answer is definitely "yes". It would be a good contribution
> to work on how to visually represent the various pieces of information that
> come from the real robot; e.g., what are the uncertainties that the robot
> has on its current position in the world, or of the objects it perceived in
> the world? How could we represent such uncertainty? Could we visually
> represent the current 'task' of the robot, so that the human
> operator/developer can evaluate whether the robot is doing the same task as
> what that human expects it should be doing right now? Etc.

This is somewhat "mars roverish", meaning response is related to
onboard hardware being able to transmit in "real time". So what is the
onboard hardware expected, and the distance being used in the process?

> About voice commands: I have a very simple view on this, namely that the
> voice input is "parsed" somewhere and transformed in "commands" that are
> not different from any other command that Blender?MORSE can work with. In
> other words, I do not see a reason to put a "voice controller" into
> Blender...

Voice input and output, are at first for the disabled, but secondary,
is the ability to modify on the fly with voice commands that are
recognized, confirmed, and then initiated. This is oriented more
toward it being verbally responded to in terms of operations... a
convenience feature for users.