[Robotics] OpenGRASP, COLLADA and Blender

Alexey Zakharov alexey.zakharov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:02:38 CEST 2011

2011/4/20 Antonio Morales <morales at uji.es>

> Dear All,
>
> Following recent messages, let me talk about the work regarding COLLADA for
> robotics which we have been doing within the European funded project GRASP
>  which we think could be of interest for you. One of the main tasks of the
> project has been the development of a simulation tool focused on robot
> grasping. We chose OpenRAVE (
> http://openrave.programmingvision.com/en/main/index.html) as the core of
> toolkit which also includes additional tools, plug-ins and robot models. We
> call it OpenGRASP (http://opengrasp.sourceforge.net/)
>
> In OpenGRASP we  use COLLADA 1.5 as the file format to store robot models
> and scenarios. We have addressed several COLLADA related aspects.
>
> * Specification of robotic specific tags for COLLADA 1.5 ->
> importer/exporter on OpenRAVE
>
> One feature of the OpenGRASP project is the extension of the COLLADA v1.5
> format using the available mechanism to add user-defined content to the
> files. In cooperation with the developers of OpenRAVE, this idea evolved to
> provide definitions for sensors, more complex definitions of manipulators
> and grippers, and actuator models in the future. Some of these extensions
> can be found on the OpenRAVE homepage, and a more detailed description as
> well as the opportunity to discuss the extensions will be installed on our
> OpenGRASP project page.

OpenRAVE page has rather chaotic description of the format. Another problem
is that you are using COLLADA DOM and python exporter from the old blender.
These projects are not supported any more.
As you mentioned, we need to switch to openCollada library and take care to
be compatible with the scheme. Would be great to start a dedicated mailing
list. Where we could discuss possible extensions for mobile robotics.

best regards,
Alexey