[Robotics] Make a 3D model from real photographs

Srimal Jayawardena srimalj at gmail.com
Thu May 20 06:36:25 CEST 2010

Hi

I need to make a 3D model of a car with proportions that match a real car.

Is it possible to create a 3D model using photographs of a real car taken
from orthogonal views?

Is there any tutorial for me? Or are there any sites that have 3D car models
with matching real photos?

Thanks in advance

Srimal.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:19 AM, Andy Mills <andhemills at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Gentlemen,
>
> I tried to send a message recently, but I think it wouldn't handle the
> blend attachment, so I don't think it went through at all. And I may have
> sent an email some time ago, but I think I only got around to a draft.
>
> So in summary, I'm trying to build a robot to aid in the creation of
> origami tessellations.
> http://www.spundreams.net/~andy/origami/tessellations.html<http://www.spundreams.net/%7Eandy/origami/tessellations.html>
>
>  It could be thought of more like a printer in a way (a folder). Paper will
> be fed into it and it will do one section at a time, from top to bottom. I'm
> breaking away from typical robotic "standards" (humanoid/autonomous
> mobility) and have modeled the machine more off of a CNC router machine.
> Actually, two stacked on top of each other.
>
> My primary goal is to keep this project free of cost to me and so I have
> decided on leveraging Linux solutions (my main other alternative was a QNX
> robotic platform). For simulation, I discovered Blender and I decided to go
> with it. Finding you guys further inspired my decision and I'm glad to see
> the ongoing discussions. I singed up for this list back in November, maybe.
> But, I have tried to do what I can without asking any questions and now I
> have a few.
>
> I'm not sure if you guys will be able to help me, but based on some recent
> emails, I think you can get me going in the right direction, at least. I
> think most of my problem now is just understand [the capabilities of]
> Blender...
>
> One of my main problems was "finite simulation" particularly regarding the
> drive system, which should use a threaded rod and a bolt to drive the arms
> back and forth. To model this accurately appears to add a lot of overhead to
> the system and the game runs awfully slow. I worked around this by just
> ignoring the threading (and the rods, although they appear), moving the arms
> at a fixed relative position (I suppose when I start writing scripts, I can
> at least simulate acceleration to the drive's top or set speed). This may
> not be that important, but I did want to try to simulate gearing as well,
> which I'm not able to really, I'm just using x/y positionings. But, based on
> the simulations used by other classmates, these may be insignificant.
>
> I will eventually be looking at some sensors, because I'm going to have to
> ensure that the paper is aligned properly. I may use one or combination of
> ensuring the edges of the paper are properly aligned or ensuring the fold
> being currently made (the head doing the folding) is appropriately aligned
> to existing folds. I think I could use infrared sensors for the edge
> alignment solution. I'm not sure what I would use one the folding head,
> because it would need to be able to "see" the folds and I'm leaning a little
> toward (ultra) sonar to map the paper's current state. (I'm going to need a
> [...]

~
Srimal Jayawardena
BSc (Engineering), BIT, MIET
PhD Candidate
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Building 115, Corner of North and Daley Roads
Australian National University
T: +61 2 6125 1771
M: +61 422 684 854
F: +61 2 6125 8651