[Robotics] Camera calibration parameters

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Tue May 11 18:02:44 CEST 2010

Hi Gilberto,

The focal distance doesn't make sense for an openGL camera as it works
by projection. You can however talk about focal distance in Stereo mode
where it is the distance from the camera at which the two images of an
object will be displayed at the same screen position.

Another value of interest is the near distance (available as camera.near
attribute): it is the distance in blender unit (i.e. meter) from the
camera below which an object is not displayed. This near value is
usually small: 0.1 for example.

The image size (size of pixel in distance unit) can be derived from the
camera.lens attribute. The lens attribute is a value that represents the
distance in Blender unit at which the largest image dimension is 32.0
Blender units.
So the formula to get the pixel size as a function of the distance to
the camera is:

Pixsize = 32.0/lens * dist

Hope this helps,
Benoit