[Robotics] Collada 1.5

Izaak Van Crombrugge izaak.vancrombrugge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 10:27:30 CEST 2010

Indeed, there is some work going on with OpenCollada, but it is not easy to
find any development info. And while all of blender is moving towards Python
to make it more open, the Collada import/export has changed to C++. This
means: no Collada update without rebuilding Blender. (Python code is more
"inviting" than C/C++ what makes it "more open source")

The biggest reason to make the importer ourselves is that Kinematics and
Physics are no priority at all to be supported as the focus lies on the
artistic, visual elements. (
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Chingachgook/Gsoc2009/End-User_Specification#File_format_support_completeness
)

We will only put effort in the things that are relevant for robotics:
The aim is to support: (ordered by priority)
1) Meshes and object structure
2) Armatures with kinematics (joints etc.) and Physics
3) Simple materials (colours and maybe simple textures)
4) Cameras, lamps,...

Because Collada is quite extensive, we didn't start from scratch (thank
God!). We use Grasp and ColladaImEx modules as basis.
The Translator module will be written mostly from scratch, as Blender has
changed too much. But we are still examining the code to find out what we
can still use. (What the translator is:
http://colladablender.illusoft.com/cms/content/blogcategory/16/43/)

If anyone has worked with this Translator code, we are listening! :)
Izaak