[Robotics] Itasc branch review

Florian Lier blender at icram.de
Sat Sep 26 10:42:14 CEST 2009

Hey all,

finally I found some time to compile and test the itasc branch.

- Some notes -

Test system:

Ubuntu 9.04 32 Bit
Intel QuadCore 3,2 Ghz
4 GB Ram
NVIDIA 8800 GTX 512 MB with NVIDIA prop. driver

 ":("
1) With Compiz/3D effects enabled the game engine seems to run pretty
unstable
2) Compiz also seems to mess up the menues like "Armature" "Bone" or
"Contraints" Menue (screenshot: www.icram.de/itasc_scale.png)
3) When recording an animation and replaying it one core is completly
busy (100%)

":)"
1) The menu-settings for the IK are pretty nice and clearly arranged
2) The solver works very well and seems to be smarter/smoother than the
"normal" solver
3) The scons installer works flawlessly

That's the my first impression on the current itasc branch. I compiled
it myselft - I didn't
use the binaries provided by benoit.

Here's a small video showing the demo: http://vimeo.com/6761002

A general question: When moving the IK chain controlled by an EMPTY
(target) in 3D View
the solver sometimes "jumps" from pose A to pose B. During replaying and
animation the solver
doesn't jump that much - so why is that?

Cheers, Florian

P.S. @itasc guys: Pretty nice valueable work by all means!