[Robotics] Computing IK Joint Angles Pt.3

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Fri Jul 17 20:52:43 CEST 2009

Hi Florian,

I had a look on your file and modified it to get it working. While doing
that, I noticed several important points:
- better use dictionary access by bone name instead of index number, it
is more portable
- you cannot avoid using the bone rest pose because Blender introduces
180 roll all the time, which ruins the angle calculation based only on
the pose matrix
- I discovered a major flaw in the MathUtil library: it treats the
matrix as row major for matrix operations like multiplication but
Blender returns column major matrices. I wonder how nobody noticed that.
I had implement my own matrix multiplication function to work around
that. Maybe it is my ignorance of the Blender Python API.

Attached you will find the script that gives exact joint angles. The
logic is quite simple and systematic: the joint angle is computed from
the difference between 1) the pose of a bone when combining the pose of
its parent and its own rest pose 2) its actual pose. The difference is
only due to the angle and as you only use 1DoF joints, it is quite
simple to extract the angle.

Regards,
Benoit