[Robotics] Introduction

Séverin Lemaignan severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
Thu Aug 27 18:09:53 CEST 2009

I forgot to answer the other questions :-)

>>> - there is a significant difference between the game engine and the
>>>    simulation mode. The former is the most important one for robotics
>>>    (because it has the interaction possibilities with the outside
>>> world) and
>>>    hence we should concentrate on that.
>>
>> That's an important aspect. We do actually work with the GameEngine
>> because we need the simulation of Physics. That's even our main reason
>> for choosing Blender. But I agree with you, interactions with the
>> simulation are not easy in the GameEngine mode, and it's a problem.
>
> I am not sure why we really need the simulation....

> Can you say which use case this would solve for you?

One of our typical scenarios, here at the LAAS is this one:

Two (outdoor) robots (one drone, one UGV), in a zone with vegetation and
some sparse buildings.

The drone perceive the environment with a stereocamera and create a
traversability map that it sends back to the UGV. The UGV uses it to
plan its trajectory and move in the zone.

We need the physical simulation to get a more realistic behaviour of the
UGV when it moves.

In other scenarios (like join manipulation of objects), physics are even
more important for us.

If needed, I can get into more details or give other examples.

Cheers,
Severin