[Robotics] Code repository?

Séverin Lemaignan severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
Mon Apr 27 14:57:12 CEST 2009

Hello,

Back on the repository question.

> Maybe we should put a bit more effort in "design" before such a repository
> is created. My personal suggestion is to think about where we want to go
> with this repository in the medium and long term, and structure the
> repository accordingly. I think that the "long term" goal is a complete
> vertical robotic software stack, comparable to the ones that exist for
> mobile telephony (Limo, Moblin, Android, ...) or for web services (the
> Apache ecosystem being a major representative). "ROS" from Willow Garage
> _is_ such a vision, LAAS' "OpenRobots robotics framework" is another one,
> so maybe we should see how the repository that we think of would fit in
> their code tree structures and policies, such that later integration will
> become easier...

I agree, of course. The problem is that I think it's pretty hard to
figure out _now_ how all the pieces will fit altoghter (btw, it could be
worthy of summarizing on the wiki the emails exchanged over the last 2
weeks, since a lot of insightful ideas where expressed).

Herman, as soon as the project become a bit more precise, we can move
everything to a better structure, easier to integrate into other
robotics "stacks" (this idea of stack is extermely interesting, and at
the same time, probably quite far away :-) and I need a code hosting
solution now, to exchange patches and chuncks of (beta) code).

Concerning solutions for code hosting, I was a bit fast last time
concerning what the LAAS could offer, and it appears we won't be able to
set up rapidly a GIT repo with numerous external contributors (mostly
because of the technical constraints of our authentification
architecture). Till then, I've set up a branch on Launchpad (reusing the
"OpenRobots" project I already created some weeks ago: don't take it as
an attempt to cannibalize common efforts! If someone want to create a
dedicated "blender-for-robotics" project, I'll be happy to move the code
there).

If you want to checkout/commit, first register on Launchpad, then add
yourself to the "blender-for-robotics" team
(http://launchpad.net/~blender-for-robotics), then install Bazaar (sudo
apt-get/yum/... install bzr) and checkout the code:
bzr checkout
bzr+ssh://<login>@bazaar.launchpad.net/~blender-for-robotics/openrobots-simulator/trunk

(more details here:
https://help.launchpad.net/FeatureHighlights/TeamBranches)

Currently, I've only put the few Python scripts I used for the
Yarp+Blender little demo + the corresponding Blender scene.

By the way: does someone is in touch with ROS developpers? are they
interested in the project? in some kind of integration? It's great to
have Paul amongst us for Yarp, I'd like to have someone from ROS (or
other middleware) to ensure, as you said, Herman, "middleware agnosticity".

Severin