[Robotics] Extension of the sensor/controller/actuator model inthe GE

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Fri Apr 17 18:38:41 CEST 2009

I had a closer look at the texture plugin model: it shows that blender
can load DLL, call functions from it, display custom UI, and save custom
data in .blend. Adpating this model to the GE is a complex project but
is possible. The complexity comes partly from that fact that the GE is
C++, and DLL are not good friends of C++.

Some considerations limit the scope of this plugin model:
- The plugin has limited access to the scene data: it cannot directly
access the C++ classes, it must go through a C API.
- For the same reason, a sensor plugin cannot be triggered by game
internal data
- The current logic model may be superseeded by a nodal model in the
future, it may not be the right time to develop a complex plugin model.

However, a plugin system would be perfect to implement custom
communication protocol, which is an essential need for robotic
applications. Given this, I would still find justified that a project is
funded to implement this plugin model.

Benoit