[Robotics] Extension of the sensor/controller/actuator model in the GE

Séverin Lemaignan severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
Thu Apr 16 11:03:06 CEST 2009

Hello Benoit!

Thank you very much for this in depth coverage of what can be done or
not with logic bricks.

I've copied your mail on the wiki for the record
(http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Robotics:Sensors%2C_Controllers%2C_Actuators_architecture_in_the_GameEngine)

> Although this model has the merit to exist, it is not very user friendly
> nor efficient.

It somehow confirm my current perception of the logic bricks :-)

> Ideally a plugin model should be available but Blender is not well
> designed for that. The main problem comes from the DNA system that
> requires that all data stored in the .blend file are listed in headers
> that are compiled in the blender executable and in the .blend file.
> Maybe the DNA can be extended to external libraries but I don't know
> enough about it; I'll pass the question to the committers mailing list.
> It is also possible that the 2.5 release will allow more easily such
> extensions.

 From my point of view, a plugin model as you describe it would be
indeed a good solution. The DNA/RNA approach seem to be central in the
on-going efforts towards Blender 2.5. Do you (or maybe Ton, if you're
reading :-) ) know if a plugin architecture is being discussed for this
next release?

> There is currently a project to refactor completely the GE GUI to allow
> a nodal representation of the logic. This is done in relation with a
> commercial game development but it would benefit largely the entire
> community. The project is still a bit vague so I cannot give any precise
> info. It could be based on this old, but good, proposal:
> http://www.blender.org/documentation/logic_editing_proposal.pdf

I'll definitely have a look to that. Thank you.

Séverin