[Robotics] Integration of middlewares

Séverin Lemaignan severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
Wed Apr 15 18:56:57 CEST 2009

Hello everyone,

I would like to discuss the integration of robotics (or virtual reality)
middleware in Blender.

I think this could be a very interesting field for cooperation, allowing
us to develop tools easily reusable by other teams.

I had a talk with Damien Marchal, from IRCICA and he told me about VRPN
(Virtual Reality Peripheral Network,
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/vrpn/). We are using ourselves YARP and
ROS at LAAS. I know that quite a lot of people are using Player/Gazebo
for their work.

It would be very nice to have a well identified mechanism allowing the
use of these middlewares for inputs and outputs in Blender.

I'm currently working with YARP, which is really easy since it has
Python bindings. Paul Fitzpatrick is one of the lead developpers of YARP
and he is ready to help on this.

Are you using specific architectures in your labs? how do you see this
could be integrated in Blender?

Cheers,
Séverin