[Orange-tech] Re: XSeed Cluster for Blender project

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Nov 30 17:09:35 CET 2005

Hi Mark,

Toni has a week off, so I'll take over a bit... :)

I'm now working on final planning, worksheets, etc. A lot of
preparations are still being done, modeling and animation techniques
especially. Next week we'd like to start with rendering tests.

This is the method I like to propose we proceed.

1) ssh account
We need an account to login to a master server, where we can
upload/download and start render commands. It can be any system, we
don't need direct access to xseed slaves I guess.

2) database sync
We will prepare a main directory (with subdirs) where all (.blend and
texture) files reside for final rendering. This data should become
synced regularly (overnights?).
Our files will use relative paths, so should work on any system.
However... how does it work for the xseed slaves? Is there a common
path with NFS or so? (Probably a detail for Toni to sort out next week)

3) final renders sync
Output of the render slaves should go to a common place too, in a
similar directory structure as the to be rendered .blend files. Same
issue here, can the render slaves write to a common disk?
We'll have to experiment with download times for final images. :) The
total amount of images can easily go into a TeraByte, hope there's room
for it.

4) Blender binaries
The slaves should also use a Blender version we've installed (=
uploaded & unpacked) ourselves; development here goes continuously.
Again that means it might work best if each slave can get the binary
from a central location.

5) DrQueue
Installation of this software should be done by you (your team). I'm
not familiar with it, but I know Toni already set it up locally, so he
can provide feedback.

Thanks!

-Ton-