[Demoreel] Blender Reel

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jun 20 11:29:48 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Let's organize this a bit.

1) Mailing list

That cleans up! :)
The demoreel mailing list is open for everyone to join, with history everyone can read too. So we can invite others to check the mails, join the list, without creating this confusing CC spam.

We can unlist everyone when the reel has been created succesfully.

2) Uploads

This whole dropbox thing is also unneeded, why not use blender.org? We have anonymous ftp service, with half a Tera of free space.

ftp: ftp.blender.org
user: anonymous

cd to directory incoming/ to write files.

The files will appear on http://download.blender.org/incoming/

I suggest to create a directory there with name like reel2012/ or so for everyone to upload files.
Anonymous ftp access has no right to delete files, only to write and load. I can do the cleanup later.

3) License of files: CC-NC-ND

It has to be *explicitly* stated by submitters that the contents for the reel will be used by Blender Foundation, using proper credit in the film, but with the entire reel licensed as CC-sa-nd (share alike, no derivates). (The non-commercial CC is not acceptable for many reasons, like showing it at Siggraph is already "commercial").

4) Focus

It's unclear to me what's now going to be made... but I won't use a video with voice over on Siggraph. That's very annoying for the booth crew and mostly inaudable anyway.

If you would want to include various content targets, then group this together and make shorter clips around a specific topic? Like:

- vfx reel
- animation (film)
- viz (rendered stuff, architecture or science, simulations)
- game engine

Paul said:
> I've been looking at past SIGGRAPH videos for various software packages.

Show urls (youtube) of videos you like, or examples you think we should not do. Easier to share ideas of what direction you want to go into.

Thanks,

-Ton-