[Bsod-mentors] Blender SoD closed + evaluation

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Thu Sep 21 21:58:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> As last topic I'd like to get some feedback from everyone about this
> project. It has been an interesting first time, what can we learn from it?

I too agree that we've had good results and that the main issues have
been time (authors' complaint) and communication (mentors' complaint).

It was a pleasure to participate, my thanks to everyone involved.

Just chatting, you can stop reading already :) ...

- Time:

It seems most if not all authors underestimated the time needed for
their projects.

Bothersome, but this is a "normal" thing specially with writing involved
-- it usually happens, we can only get more experienced and work to
improve our estimates. As others mentioned, when planning we for example
don't take into account all the small and not so small issues that may
happen in ours lives.

Guess others will also agree that the scheduled time also wasn't enough
because authors were not happy with producing only the amount of work
originally requested. We felt the responsibility of writing needed docs
for a big community (where we participate) around a program / project we
care for.

I agree with Tim about giving more time.

Anyway, since people know about this project now and you'll be able to
announce it earlier next time, potential authors can have more than
enough time to prepare, sketch ideas and even start working before being
accepted (having something to show with the proposal wouldn't hurt one's
chances, for sure...).

- Communication:

Updating the wiki takes quite some time. For me it was much better to
write in a text editor and postpone creating / uploading images till the
chapters were mostly done. So checking the wiki to follow our progress
is not ideal.

I agree that weekly meetings are a good idea. Reports could be done
during regular Sunday meetings, like GSoC ones -- talk about peer
pressure, Tim ;). Also a single wiki page about BSoD progress that all
authors would update at least weekly, too, would be good to keep users
informed:

project X:
Done: part 1, 2, etc.
TODO: this week: ...
Notes: ...

A snapshot of the docs should also be available somehow, either
privately (authors would email their material to their mentors) or
online, but not necessarily already in wiki format. Might be overkill to
do this weekly, though.

--
Willian