[Bsod-mentors] Three Important Things

David Millet david at tellim.com
Thu Jun 22 02:01:27 CEST 2006

All BSoDers and mentors:

Three things:

Please make sure your wiki username is on this page (if not, add it):

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD

I'm going to go through all the usernames tomorrow and put all mentors and
BSoD authors into a special wiki BSoD group with some extra permissions (such
as moving pages).  This will help everybody do their work faster.

Also, I would like to be clear that the documentation does need to be written
in the proper namespace.  If you follow YOUR link on this page:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD ...... you'll be taken to the
place where the index of your documentation should be.  Then, each individual
page of your documentation needs to be in a sub namespace.

Confused?  Hopefully, this example will help.  Ryan's BSoD link is here:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation

He has correctly made that page his index page.  The pages of his
documentation are correctly in sub namespaces of the index page:

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Intro
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Modeling_the_head
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Modeling_the_body
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Materials_and_textures
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Rigging

His wiki code for those five pages is:

[[BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Intro]]
[[BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Modeling the head]]
[[BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Modeling the body]]
[[BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Materials and textures]]
[[BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation/Rigging]]

Please realize that I'm not saying this as a member of the BSoD board, or as a
BSoD mentor, but as the wiki admin.  There's a lot of potential for
disorganization and anarchy in a wiki, and part of my job is to organize and
keep a structure.  So I'm afraid I'm going to have to be an ass about this
one.

For those of you that have already set up pages in the wrong places, don't
worry about moving them yet.  You can wait until you have move permissions,
and moving a wiki page (AKA renaming it) is the easiest thing in the world.

Somebody asked me the other day if images also need to be uploaded under
namespaces similar to the way pages are.  My answer is yes... try to name
your image according the module name (for instance, something like
BSoD-Introduction_to_Character_Animation-Intro-3D_viewport.png).  The answer
is, I don't care nearly as much, but do try to name your images in a way so
that it's recognizable as part of your module (maybe instead of
BSoD-Introduction_to_Character_Animation-Intro-3D_viewport.png, do
IntroToCharAnimation-3DViewport.png).  Again, I really don't care too much
when it comes to images.

Phew!  Ok, on to number three.  The wiki has this neat feature
called "categories" that I want you all to remember to take advantage of.
Assigning categories helps users quickly find relevant pages.  To set up the
categories for a page about bananas, you would put the following at the
bottom of the page:

[[Category:Things_that_are_yellow]]
[[Category:Fruits]]
[[Category:Foods]]

The categories that are currently used in the wiki are at
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Special:Categories .... You'll notice
that there are very few categories currently in existence.  That means that
you will be creating some.  Category creation is really very simple.... all
you have to do is assign the category to the page.  Using Ryan as an example
again, he'll be creating a category called the name of his
project: "Introduction to Character Animation":

[[Category:Introduction to Character Animation]]

He will mark all his pages as under that category.  He will also mark all his
pages as under another category:

[[Category:Blender Summer of Documentation]]

Additionally, he will give certain pages certain categories, depending on what
is being discussed on that page... maybe:

[[Category:3D Viewport]]
[[Category:Blender Interface]]
[[Category:Mesh Modeling]]

Of course, one could spend the entire day creating categories that a single
page covers.  That is not the goal here.  I want most of your time to be
spent writing, not categorizing.  Pick at MOST five categories per page.
These will be preliminary categories only... we'll get better as a wiki with
categories as time goes on.