[Bsod-mentors] a couple terms

rob c blender4ever at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 00:45:40 CEST 2006

For those of us who are working on documentation related to characters
and animation, I would like to make a request. I have two pet-peeves:
the terms "skinning", and "rigging". Firstly, it appears that
"skinning" came from FPS character editing apps, and I also hear 3DS
Max users saying it as well. I've always hated this term, skinning is
something you do to a dead animal. I would like to request that the
Blender documentation avoid using this term as much as possible. This
is for each author (and the mentors too, I suppose) to decide, I won't
be picking any fights over this issue. Here is one example I would
point out: http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartIX/Skinning

Secondly, the term, "rigging" is often misused. It's easy to do, since
in blender, a skeleton and a rig are both contained within the
armature object (however, a rig can be made from outside objects).
Also, the term, "rig" refers to a concept, whereas "armature" refers
to an actual blender object. I've written two definitions in the noob
to pro book, so you can check them out here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Terminology#R. I
plan to be drawing the distinction between these terms in the opening
of my documentation. Whether other authors choose to keep with this
terminology is up to them. I won't give anyone any hassles concerning
this term either.

I'm sure this seems rather anal to some people, but I did say they
were pet peeves.
-Rob