[Bf-webcontent] in favor of "documentation" as top header link

marco ardito ardito at apiform.to.it
Wed Mar 25 12:05:02 CET 2015

Thanks,

TL;DR: ok, however I feel it could be better show better at least
"getting started" docs, especially for new users...

Long story:

I feel that sites you are referring to are more common for commercial
software, where sometimes even documentation (and support) is not free
and often not easily accessible like blender's manual, api guide, etc.
or not available at all if you are not paying first.

Most other open source software website I usually visit/use (related to
3d or not) have, more often that not, some sort of "documentation" top
link / home page link. When I can find easily (good) docs, my personal
feeling is that the software is often really of higher quality, and more
"open", since is putting a knowledge resource like "the manual" to its
users, or visitors in first sight.

Reading documentation *first*, before actually
downloading/installing/trying large and complex projects often helps me
to understand if/how the software works for my needs. How it is
organized, how it is explained by who makes it. If there is no manual or
good docs, I often doubt of the software, or at least I consider other
choices.

Documentation is important when dealing with complex stuff.

And, we all know that many users (often coming from other commercial
competitors) are often "scared" or at least "intimidated" from the vast,
(necessarily) complex interface of blender. Yes, sometimes people is
just scared of changing habits, I know, and any software dealing with
the vastness of 2d/3d/animation/video/tracking/game features blender has
now, cannot have an easy ui.

[btw, imho blender has a GREAT ui, I always loved since 1.6x C-key days.
Well at least since when they implemented undo - seriolusly - in the
beginnings, blender had no undo at all...]

Maybe if the "scared" users could easily find a section such "see what
it can do, see how it works" *before* trying their way through the
complexities of such a software, they could be more prepared and aware
of what they are dealing with... and maybe feel less scared or give away
less easily as they say they do.

Maybe even something less that the full manual (which is huge)

like "getting started" o" "basics"
http://www.blender.org/manual/getting_started/index.html
http://www.blender.org/manual/getting_started/basics/index.html

if read BEFORE trying blender for the first time could lower the
learning )and even the "first glance") barrier...

My 2c.

Marco

Il 25/03/2015 11:12, Francesco Siddi ha scritto:
> Hi Marco,
> the word “Support” seems to be more common on websites of well known
> applications, or organisations with large websites. This is why it was
> preferred over Documentation.
>
> We will think of a way to make the manual more prominent and come back
> to this. Thanks for the feedback!
>
> Francesco
>
> On 24 Mar 2015 at 20:31:34, Niklas Ravnsborg-Gjertsen
> (niklasravnsborg at gmail.com <mailto:niklasravnsborg at gmail.com>) wrote:
>
>> Totally agree! I suggested a TopNav to be available across all
>> Blender websites a while ago. I was doing a new wiki design and had
>> few ideas for that.

marco

[Ai sensi e per  gli  effetti della Legge sulla tutela della privacy
(L. 196/2003), questa  mail  è destinata unicamente alle persone sopra
indicate e le informazioni in essa contenute sono da considerarsi
strettamente riservate. E' proibito leggere, copiare, usare o
diffondere il contenuto della presente mail senza autorizzazione.
Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, siete pregati di
rispedire la stessa al mittente. Grazie]