[Bf-webcontent] The Downloads page is hard to read.

Pablo Vazquez venomgfx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:15:47 CEST 2015

Hi,

Yes I removed the tabs temporarily, because of the following reasons:

- OS guessing was not reliable because of caching (also for some reason Firefox
stopped to work
<https://twitter.com/andrewpprice/status/623361290778488833/photo/1>, was
fine on WebKit)
- It wasn't any easier to navigate (except for the autodetect) and involved
an extra click
- Harder to fit on smaller screens, and adding new options such as FreeBSD
- Unnecessarily hiding important sections

What I mean with the last point, is that for example I added the "Daily" /
"Bleeding Edge" tab long time ago, but just the other day there was someone
saying "What? Bleeding Edge, is that new? Awesome!". Some people didn't
notice because it was just at the end of the tabs list. Even though it's
been there forever.

The current solution is not ideal. It's convoluted. On the other hand, it
shows all the information at once, which is good to search in the page and
for search engines too. Perhaps an easy way to make this simpler to
navigate is having big OS icons as anchor links to their sections below.

I said temporarily because this is something I'd like to work on since a
while. At the moment I'm rather busy wrapping up the Gooseberry project and
then is Siggraph, but is on my to-do list.

--
Pablo Vazquez
CG Artist - Blender Institute Amsterdam
Email: contact at pablovazquez.org