[Bf-webcontent] Website performance optimization

Peter Carrero peter.carrero at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 06:02:05 CEST 2013

Coming in a bit late in the discussion... I'd propose automating the compression/minification of css and js files with a tool like grunt.js. Doing these kinds of automation is crucial for easy of code maintenance and reduces the possibility of human error introduced in the process.

Here is an example of how to do it: http://blog.dylants.com/2013/08/13/minify-assets-using-grunt/

It will be the weekend before I have any time, if no one tackles this until then, I can get it setup.

Aside from what the others already mentioned, the biggest performance gain we will we is probably from the caching layers, which is more of a devops/infrastructure field rather than plain development. A well-tuned MySQL server (or cluster), an opcode cache for php, the use of memcache and all that with something like varnish to receive the brunt of web requests should make the site very snappy. Do we know what are the plans for the infrastructure architecture?

-Peter
"Non sibi, sed civitas."
--
"The job isn’t to catch up to the status quo; the job is to invent the status quo."
Seth Godin