[Bf-webcontent] blender.org upgrade - Design

Sparkwood and 21 info at sparkwoodand21.com
Tue Jun 11 09:21:36 CEST 2013

Thanks for sharing. It's looking really good.

I'm going to take a look in more detail later on today, but these are my
first impressions and thoughts. Do with them what you will:

*Users*
Your identified users (very roughly) for the website are amateurs,
professionals and developers. Just keep in mind that on the front page
there ought to be something directed at each of these groups. I'm not a
developer and the current site can feel a bit developer-centric and puts me
off trying to participate.

*Showreel*
Needs to be on the frontpage showing a range of blender uses, users and
styles to great non-invasive music. plus, a message about community and
that's what makes blender so great. I want to know what great things
blender can achieve (I also want to be awesome in space, but that is a
different story).

*Download*
Add the phrase *free download* underneath the download button. And make it
recognise what operating system I'm using to give me the right one, with a
link to alternatives.

*Get Involved*
Again, this should be broken down to developers and non-developers. I'm not
a developer and so my interest will lie in promotion, documentation and bug
reporting. allow me to do this easily without scaring me with code.

*Visual*
Blender makes pretty pictures. Show more of them. There's a lot of text on
some of these mockup pages and a lot of blender users do not speak english.
Are you providing location aware page translations? If not, pictures are a
lot easier to translate.

*Consistency*
Blender has a lot of sites allocated to it: lists.blender.org,
network.blender.org, wiki.blender.org, code.blender.org, etc... They really
ought to look the same, or at least reflect the style of the main website.
Have you seen the BBC style guide? It's great inspiration:
https://static.bbc.co.uk/gel/0.2.14/downloads/GEL_web_styleguide.pdf yes, I
know that's a bit project, but it might be something to bear in mind if you
are thinking of expanding this design out across the board.

*Also*
Have you thought of having a place to put global events for blender:
meetups, conferences, etc...

Anyway, these are just thoughts really. Keep up the good work.

Duncan
*Sparkwood and 21**
*
Small Design Studio*