[Bf-webcontent] Convincing people to use BitTorrent forVideoTutorials

Matthew H. Plough mplough at Princeton.EDU
Mon Nov 15 22:20:19 CET 2004

Sorry...I hit send a little too fast on that one.  Basically, zipping
something reduces the redundancy in it.  Try zipping a zip file -- the
size doesn't decrease because all of the redundancy that zip can remove
has already been removed.

Try compressing:
fed123bn1o2n5782

Not a whole lot of redundancy, right?  It's random noise, essentially.
It's only possible to compress things that contain some form of redundancy:

AAAAAAAAbbbbbvvvv would be an ideal candidate for run length encoding.
It would become: 8 A 5 b 4 v

Lossy and lossless video codecs compress video very well because they
take into account the temporal and spatial redundancy in video.  If a
generic zip algorithm that's designed to compress anything can do
better, then you need to recompress your videos.  You could squeeze a
lot more redundancy out of your videos without losing much, if any,
visual quality.

I hope my complete message helps a bit more.

Matt