[Bf-webcontent] Convincing people to use BitTorrent for Video Tutorials

Glen Moyes metsys at icubenetwork.com
Sun Nov 14 00:41:31 CET 2004

A ton of people have been downloading the video tutorials. The
BitTorrent Tracker has been helping out a lot, but even with those the
load was still too great for two of our community mirrors (not to
mention both of my sites with a 5GB a day limit). I know that many
people with BitTorrent have been downloading from our mirrors. I have a
few ideas on how to convince downloaders to use bittorrent first.

I'm considering having just the BitTorrent link on the description and
then another link next to it for a non-bit torrent downlaod. Then it
will bring up a pop-up page with a list of mirrors, their locations, and
a notice saying that it is recommended to use BitTorrent, and where to
get a client. Since a direct link to the mirror won't be on the main
page that might help BitTorrent users for using a mirror just because
it's faster. This is an idea, so tell me what you think.

For now I'm going to limit the number of files that are linked to our
limited bandwidth users and make sure the others are listed first. If
that doesn't work than I'll have to remove the links to their sites just
because one file could still take down the site (one video was
responsible for 4 out of my 5 gigabyte limit, and it wasn't even listed
as the first mirror). I don't want to just use BitTorrent because some
people for hardware, firewall or other reasons just can't use it.

I also want to redo the way the web page is designed. I tried to use the
same method as the tutorial section uses but I don't know how to use
site items. If someone can help me with that it would be appreciated. As
far as my goals with this site is concerned I want to somehow unify the
documentation, tutorial, and video tutorial projects. They have the same
goal. It would be benificial to people using Blender if they can read a
chapter in the documentation, and then have links to different tutorials
and videos about the topic they just read. This is in a bit in the
future but that is my goal with this project.

- Glen Moyes (Metsys)