[Bf-webcontent] misc. edits

Stephen Swaney sswaney at swbell.net
Tue Apr 13 17:56:14 CEST 2004

Nathan Letwory wrote:

> I've published it for now. Maybe it would be a thing of the (near?)
> future to decide on a policy for spelling and vocabulary. Personally I
> prefer British English, but as a non-native speaker there will be
> probably discrepancies between what I (we) wanted to say and what is said.
>
> /Nathan
>
> Stephen Swaney wrote:
> >
> >The section on code formatting used the
> >word 'parentheses' instead of 'braces'.
> >These are parens:      ()
> >These are braces:      {}
> >It occurs to me that this is American English
> >usage and British English may be a horse of
> >a different color. ( hourse of a different colour? )

My concern was not spelling but what we call those
cute little punctuation marks.  Spelling differences
like color/colour are easily parsed away by the reader.
I was thinking more along the line of  sofa/chesterfield
or napkin/serviette differences.

The little marks, since they are used for different
purposes, need individual names.  The following usage
matches up the the tutorial on python.org which was
co-written by Guido van Rossum, who I believe is Dutch.
This also fits with common American programming terms.

()	parentheses - singular form is parenthesis
{}	braces - sometimes called curly braces
[]	square brackets

Given my authority as King Stephen the First, I hereby
proclaim this to be the Official Blender Usage.  Unless
you guys think differently, of course.  Do you have
weird EuroNames that you prefer for these things?

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at swbell.net