[Bf-viewport] Unified Principled BSDF and Eevee PBR

Clément FOUCAULT foucault.clem at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 21:52:14 CEST 2017

I also don't quite like the fact of removing the specular workflow. But
supporting it would add some usability issue (discussed previously but
maybe reopened for debate). Adding a Specular Node is just a matter of
usability / UI point of view. For now just supporting the Principled BSDF
should cover most of the use cases.

About your statements on the Metallic workflow:

>There are often texture interpolation issues where a dielectric and
metallic materials meet (https://s3.amazonaws.com/
docs.knaldtech.com/docuwiki/light_fringe_values_close.jpg)
This will happen with both workflow. I understand that interpolation of
metallic values produces colored specular. In specular workflow it won't.
The real workaround on this is to use layered material that are rendered
separately, but this is too heavy for realtime games.

>The metallic workflow is most often locked to 4% reflectivity for
dielectrics which gives less control to experienced artists.
False, the metallic workflow (as per Unreal Implementation) is using disney
approach to give a specular input to tweak dielectrics specular values. So
you can go up to 8% with default range and beyond if you want.
Unfortunately it seems that Unity does not handle that. Still Metallic
material inputs can be exported as Specular inputs. The other way in not
easily doable.

>Semi-conductors (Rust, Magnetite etc.) and crystalline objects (gem stones
etc.) cannot be rendered accurately as they require a reflectivity of
between 4-18%.
Read previous point.

> It's much easier to use incorrect values within the metalness mask when
less experienced artists author content, which can break the workflow.
It's equally easy to put incorrect Specular values with specular workflow
;) that's why they came up with the metallic one in the first place.

Regards.

Clément